Monday 18 May 2009

Thinking back to Easter


I had a shock when I opened one of the free newspapers last week. There was a photo of me on the inside front cover carrying a huge wooden cross at the front of the Good Friday procession through the town. As I looked at the photo I wondered what people at the side of the street doing their shopping made of it. I thought it looked strange but then I don't like looking at pictures of myself!
I wonder what the effect of our walk of witness was. Some people who saw us may have had their memory jogged that this was not just any old Friday. Some might have seen the cross and thought "religious people at it again". Some would have been frustrated because we caused a hold up to the traffic and delayed their journey. Some would have no idea at all as to what was going on or been so caught up in their own business that they didn't notice we were there.(Though that might have been difficult as we were led by a bagpiper playing Easter hymns as well as his limited range of notes would allow!)
But there might just have been someone who saw us all ( and there was a good big crowd) and thought that Christianity isn't finished yet - if all these folks can give up time to walk through town doing this then perhaps I shouldn't reject Jesus without giving him a proper hearing. And if just one person thought that, then I am delighted to have carried the cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment

chitika