Tuesday 19 May 2009

Speed vs stamina

I have just fitted a new cycle computer to the handlebars of my bike. This one is more complex that the previous one I had. It not only tells speed, distance, maximum speed, average speed, time, temperature, but also calories burned. My max speed is now at just over 20 as I went down a long hill today! But more important is the average speed figure - how am I doing overall? And then there is this idea of calories burned - I am not needing to loose weight but do I wonder how a magnet on the wheel of the bike can tell how much energy I have used from the data it recieves!
I am going away on a cycling weekend in three days time and these figures matter. Speed matters as when I am going out with a group I want to know that I can keep up - there is nothing more demoralising that trailing behind a group of fast cyclists and every time they stop for a rest you just about catch up and it is time for them to set off again. Average speed is important as I need to know that I can keep up the pace for a whole day ride. Distance is important as it is satisfying to know that you have broken through certain psychological distance barriers. And I suppose the calories consumed tells you something about stamina though I am not sure quite what!
Speed and stamina - it is a "both and" requirement and not the opposites as in the fable of the tortoise and the hare.
In the church we struggle with the question of speed verses stamina. We are here for the long haul - and we need energy to achieve anything but we have to pace ourselves. Burn out comes when Christians try and do everything to bring in the kingdom of God on their own and in one go. You do not set off to ride from Land's End to John O Groats without doing training rides to build up for the challenge. We all have our own little mission and ministry to fulfil and we believe that it is all a part of God's overall plan. And we must not get discouraged when we think that our contribution is too small and insignificant. Every great achievenment is made up of loads of tiny acts.
Point yourself in the right direction, and set off, keeping a measurement of your speed and distance travelled and most of all enjoy the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment

chitika