Thursday 21 May 2009

Off for a few days

I'm off for a few days from tonight - holiday- vacation - and no regular internet connection. But there is a long list of all the things to be done before I can go and a long list of things to get ready to take with me. No wonder going away can be more stressful than staying at home.
We will be in Dumfries and Galloway - camping!!!
We hope that a break will re-charge our batteries but isn't it ironic that I have spent much of today making sure all the gadgets we are taking with us have got their batteries charged up (cameras, phones, torch, laptop!) Wasn't life simpler in days gone by! I am not a gadget fanatic but there are some things I would find it difficult to do without now that I have got used to having them.
We have all to some extent been brainwashed by the consumption pushing advertisers. I am not advocating going back to the stone age but I believe we need to think much more about what we really need and not just get things because they are there! Alistair MacIntosh in his challenging book "Hell and high water" argues that it is this attitude that has created the excessive consumerism which is the engine that has driven climate change.
Going camping will be a real test of whether I mean this or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment

chitika