Wednesday 13 May 2009

A habit is 21 days


Interesting comment tonight at the church meeting - if you do something for 21 days then it becomes a habit.
It was in the context of spiritual disciplines such as daily devotional reading, prayer time, bible reading or meditation. Is that really all it takes to ingrain something into your daily routine? Do it for twenty one days or three short weeks and you can do it for ever.
I follow the prayer pattern in the prayer handbook "Living Fire" and the Iona community book every day and that is an important part of my daily routine. If for some reason I can't do it I feel my day has missed something. But I wasn't aware of a three week point when it felt different doing it.
It is a good way to encourage people - if they can keep the discipline for 21 days then they have mastered it.
I wonder if this three week rule also applies to tackling other habits such as giving up smoking? I don't smoke so I can't try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

chitika