Monday 22 February 2016

Too much stuff?


Years ago when people moved house the average removal truck was medium sized. A few years later, the average house move needed a large truck. Today the average house removal needs two large removal vehicles! This is an indication of how much STUFF people have these days compared with previous generations.

Sometimes it seems that success in our consumerist society is only measured by the amount of stuff we have accumulated. I believe that we need to rethink our relationship with things.

Do I possess things or do things possess me? 
Do we confuse I want and I need?
Deep down do I believe that the one who dies with the most stuff has won the race of life?
Do I have a sense of stewardship which recognises the ultimate owner of everything is God and I am only a temporary custodian?
How does the example of Jesus and the simple life he led impact on the reality of my life? 

There are no answers today - just questions and I conclude with a quotation from Oscar Wilde:
"those who have much are often greedy; those who have little always share"


This year my lent discipline is to write at least one post each day on my blog.

 Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

chitika