Monday 29 February 2016

How do you imagine Jesus?


How do you visualise Jesus? Do you see him as a white, slightly emaciated, male ?

This photo is apparently of the crucified Jesus as portrayed in Korea. It gives him the physique of Rambo with... well you can see!

What do I make of this. I was actually confused when I first saw it as I didn't know what to think. It looks wrong. But then all our representations of Jesus are by their nature wrong. There were no portraits made two thousand years ago. It also highlights how we can be in danger of making Jesus into our own image - of making him fit our culture and racial stereotypes. I have seen images that portray Jesus with Asian, African and European characteristics as well as some that make him look uncomfortably Arab like. We have to return to the truth that the Son of God Jesus transcends all our images of Him!

Perhaps this image is Jesus for body-builders and we should leave it at that!


Source of picture - It was posted on Facebook - I don't know the origin or the copyright position!

No comments:

Post a Comment

chitika