Tuesday 1 May 2012

Thinking ahead

Today many people are focused entirely on the present moment. This is not necessarily a good thing - look for example of the person who checks their smart phone every few minutes to make sure that they have not received a life changing email in the minutes since they last checked. The technology available makes us expect all that we want to be available immediately and the idea of waiting is treated with scorn. Many people when they want something want it right now and if it is not there then they don't want it at all.

But today I have been thinking ahead as I have ordered seeds for planting in the garden. These will be for vegetables that we will hopefully enjoy next autumn and winter. That is the timescale at which they grow and nothing can be done to speed up the process.

All I have are the photos in the on line seed catalogue and the memory of things eaten in the past. So I live in hope, knowing that I can do much to influence the outcome by tending and nurturing the young plants but there is very little I can do to change the speed at which I will get to pick the results of my labours.

Perhaps the world would live at a more reasonable pace and people would learn patience if we all had the opportunity for gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

chitika