Monday 7 May 2012

Popcorn fight

I was at the cinema last night. The film was called "Bel Ami" set in 1890's Paris based on the novel of the same name by Guy de Maupassant about an immoral social climber who achieves fame and fortune by seducing the wives of several important men. The film stuck quite well to the novel and was an enjoyable way to spend an evening.

It was a story that could only have been in France!

And the story that enfolded in the cinema could only have happened in Scotland.

From behind us, in one of the quiet parts of the movie came a woman's voice
"Why didn't you just stay at home and watch a DVD - you are annoying other people with all that noise"
This provoked an outburst by another woman
"Cinemas sell popcorn. I come here to enjoy myself and I like popcorn. Popcorn and films go together."
Full volume Glaswegian and there was lots more! (plus expletives)
Fortunately after five minutes of high decibel female screeching a sense of collective embarrassment brought silence to the auditorium.

This made me think how we have become privatised many parts of life and are not used to being in a large community to watch a film - entertainment usually takes place in the home when we can eat drink or do whatever else while we watch. The atmosphere of shared concentration, admiration, weeping or fear is part of the spell of cinema for me. It is a collective experience that is different to watching a film at home. 

I love cinema and I dislike popcorn - and I refuse to go to those cinema chains where you have to buy tickets from a popcorn counter!



No comments:

Post a Comment

chitika