Saturday 22 January 2011

Guilt

Now as a green activist, in my own small way, I have been trying to cut my carbon footprint. This week though I went to a meeting near London and to get there and back I flew. I didn't want to fly, and I didn't enjoy the flight but I had to do it because it was cheaper by a long way and it took much less time, allowing me to meet other commitments in my diary.

But I am left feeling guilty.
The system is stacked against making use of the railways. Getting a proper, European standard, high speed rail link from London to Scotland is decades away, since there are nimbys all along the route who will fight its development along every mile of the proposed track! And this is what we need for it would beat the pants off flying every time!
So this is a modern moral dilemma. Should I feel guilty? Should I plan better so that I allow for the extra time taken when not flying?
Does it matter? The flight is going to go anyway with or without me on board. Can I offset my carbon by doing something else? Perhaps I should put a new shrub or tree in the garden for each flight I take. Though that would  make me feel good would it actually do anything. Do any of these offsetting schemes actually work or are they elaborate scams to make you feel better.
No answers as usual but lots of questions to ponder. Perhaps as Christians we do the guilt thing more than most!

No comments:

Post a Comment

chitika