Tuesday 9 June 2009

Cutting it fine.....

When I returned home from Norway I did a quick mental calculation as to how much I had spent on the trip and counted up how many crowns I had left over. It was tight. I brought back 46 crowns - about £4 and I thought I had taken loads of money. If I hadn't met that nice lady on the bus who agreed to share a taxi with me from the bus stop to the airport then I would have had to use the plastic to get me out of a hole. (3km taxi ride cost 160Kr - I'm really glad I only had to pay half!)
I know from acountants that this is called headroom - the amount of money you need minus the amount of money that you have.
We all feel comfortable with good headroom but for many people in the world this luxury is not available to them. The underlying issue is about security and living with risk. Jesus said odd things like "you don't need two coats for your back" but I have met very few Christians who take these sayings literally. If we have enough (and in terms of Norwegian crowns I did - just) then why should we be anxious - but human nature is that we are. Jesus challenges me yet again.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

chitika