Wednesday 15 February 2012

Sunday - a day of rest?

I have been reading "The testament of Gideon Mack" , a novel by James Robertson and the following paragraph caught my eye.

"I wouldn't wish on anyone the Sundays of my childhood, and I have no objections to ferries or newspapers or play-park swings or television on the Sabbath, but I understand where the impulse to ban such things comes from. Sundays for too many people have become noisy, unrestful days. I like quiet Sundays, Sundays of thought and reflection, churchgoing, family lunches for those who have families, long walks, long naps in front of old movies on the box; Sundays without supermarkets and traffic, loud neighbours and trouble in the streets. Sundays without sirens. Even the wicked have to rest, in spite of the proverb, and if they do it gives everybody else a break too."

The quotation reinforces to the blog entry I wrote last week about the cycle of the week...

No comments:

Post a Comment

chitika