Wednesday 14 December 2011

TIMEKEEPING

I wear a wristwatch. I rely on it all the time. Yesterday I realised something was wrong when I got on to the railway platform, and found the train I had expected to be just in time for had left five minutes previously. I had to get a later train. And all today it has continued to lose time.
A watch that does not keep time is worse than useless. It confuses. I know people who keep their watch permanently on the wrong time so that they are always early for an appointment. That is OK but when a battery is tired it just keeps loosing time and you never know how much it will be out!
I have found an old wind up watch to wear until I get a new battery but I don't know if it keeps good time or not! It is probably worse to have a working watch that you have no idea if it can keep time than one that you know is wrong!
Now that all phones and other devices have accurate time keepers built in will wristwatches become obsolete - or just be a piece of fashion jewellery and, like sundials, no longer be used for their designed purpose. Now sundials.... there is an idea. I could wear a small sundial on my wrist and would be able to know the time at least once or twice a week if the sun shone that often!

No comments:

Post a Comment

chitika