Tuesday 13 December 2011

Dark chocolate


In praise of dark chocolate
I like chocolate and now I have read an article that encourages me to eat more of it - for the good of my health! It sounded so convincing I wondered if I should go down to the surgery and ask my doctor for a supply on prescription (fair trade of course!)
The article promised that dark chocolate (and only dark chocolate with over 60% cocoa solids) can boost your brain while protecting your heart from disease, your mind from depression, your body from cancer and keep your brain agile, countering the effects of aging. It can also help keep both your blood pressure and bad cholesterol level low!
The chemistry was beyond me but apparently dark chocolate contains theobromine, magnesium, epicatechin, monoamine oxidase inhibitors which allow the levels of serotonin and dopamine in the brain to remain higher for longer and it is rich in flavonols (antioxidents that attack free radicals. In fact it is a much more powerful antioxidant than the fruits and vegetables or even green tea noted for these properties.) It is also rich in phenylethylamine which activates neurotransmitters in your brain.
Those chemical names mean little to me but there are several peer reviewed papers that describe the various ways that darkchocolate helps your health. All this applies only to the dark stuff - if you are a dairy milk fan this does not apply!
I have read enough. I am convinced and I know what will be on my shopping list next time I go in a sweet shop!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear this news - this is the sort of medicine I need!

    ReplyDelete

chitika