Thursday 12 August 2010

Tread softly

"L'âme d'autrui est une forêt obscure où il faut marcher avec précaution."* - Claude Debussy
Yesterday I was asked to see a lady in a nursing home. When I had seen her previously I remembered her as a very smart, petite lady with her hair in neat, tight, grey curls and with the thin transparent skin of the very old. But yesterday she was lying on her bed, curled into a fetal position and crying. Deep silent sobs came with every other breath as she screwed her face up in a silent echo of some inner pain.
I took her hand in mine and talked softly. I read a psalm and said a prayer.
I stayed beside the bed for as long as I could and was aware the human contact seemed to bring her some relief. As I left she seemed to be a little more at peace. I felt I wanted to do more but what?
I was reminded yet again of the immense complexity of every person. None of us know the inner struggles and burdens that another carries within them. It is a warning too that even the most sensitive and aware people can do untold harm by blundering around in the inner life of others.


* "the soul of another is a dark forest where you must walk with care"

No comments:

Post a Comment

chitika